Sunday, November 09, 2008

Do Not Microwave

I'd meant to post this a while back, but mislaid the image files that went with it. Over school vacations last year, and over the summer, "Killer" the harmless corn snake that lives in my daughter's former third grade classroom, came to stay with us. As it turns out, killer was a pretty social and snuggly snake who was little more than a foot long when we first brought him home, and about twice that when we returned him in September. How did he get to be so big? Well, silly we had to feed him, of course. Since live mice were out of the question as far as my wife and kids were concerned (we also have one of the classroom mice specifically bred for this purpose, but rescued by my daughter, living with us) we resorted to prepackaged already deceased mice which can be found in the frozen food section of your local pet supply store.

My favorite aspect of the frozen gourmet mouse are the directions on the back of the package. In addition to the provocative "Do not microwave" is the restrictive "not for human consumption," in case anyone might be tempted. Once, when the cashier asked me if I wanted a bag, I told her it wasn't necessary, i was just going to eat it in the car. Did she point out that I wasn't supposed to? No. The Gourmet Rodent is available in other varieties, and in multipacks.








6 comments:

Dane said...

Ha ha, "I'll just eat it in the car." Did the cashier find it amusing?

John Rozum said...

Thankfully, yes.

Max the drunken severed head said...

John-- Best blog entry I've read for a while!

Howza 'bout postin' a pic of the frozen treat?

John Rozum said...

You can sort of see the frozen treat being enjoyed in the third pic. Of course, it's been thoroughly thawed by then. If Killer comes home with us again, I'll be sure to pop one of the treats on my scanner for your enjoyment, max.

Anonymous said...

I wonder: if you didn't thaw it out, would the snake experience "brain freeze"? Perhaps even more intensely than warm-blooded critters?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.