Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Museum of the Weird



The "Museum of the Weird" show which pays tribute to legendary Walt Disney Imagineer, Rolly Crump, opened last night at Creature Features in Burbank, California. Rolly Crump is a big inspiration of mine, so I was honored to be part of this show and create artwork based on one of his unrealized projects for the Haunted Mansion (my absolute favorite theme park attraction). 

I created three pieces for the show. The first two were my own extrapolations based on Rolly's sensibilities of exhibits that could have been found in the Museum of the Weird had it come to fruition. These were a collection of non-existent simulacrum beetles. 


Above is "African Tribal Mask Beetles" collected by the Crump Expedition, 1934. 3-D cut apaper collage. 

Below: "The Mephistopheles Beetle" Also 3-D cut paper. 


My third piece was based directly off of one of Rolly Crump's sketches for the Museum of the Weird, "Aquarium with Ghost Fish" 3-D cut paper collage.



I really enjoyed making all of these and plan to continue with the simulacrum beetles in the future.


No comments: